Friday, February 24, 2012

Renew

It's been a while. A friend, this week, told me that she "blogstocks" me and it had been a while since I wrote anything. She's right. So, I have a thousand stories, some funny, some sad, some just downright gnarly that all 3 of you who read this don't want to hear about. Here goes---and here is hoping to being a little more on top of blogging about this crazy nursing journey.

RENEW. Webster defines it as to make like new, to restore to freshness, vigor, or perfection; to do again. This word came along twice in the last couple of weeks, one as I received a notice to RENEW my nursing license. It's crazy that it has been a year and a half since the California Board of Registered Nursing found me capable and worthy of caring for others. Although I never know what the day will hold, what a privilege. Those that know me, know that I still struggle at work (with the shear load of patients, the pressure of caring for others while giving them medications that could kill them, with expectations that I have set for myself) and I do my share of venting (some call in complaining :). To those friends who let me talk about my feelings, both good and bad, many mahalos. I will probably do that for the rest of my career, and still never fully have a grip on this thing call nursing. I paid my fees and they let me have my license for another 2 years. Wow.

A couple Fridays ago, the term RENEW took on a different meaning and it will be a moment that I never forget. At 1730 (5:30 pm), I received report for a new admission from the ED. You see, I was hoping to put off getting report because if they come to the floor after 1800 (6:00 pm), all I have to do is take their vital signs and pass the admission paperwork to the night shift. Well, that didn't go as planned, and the patient came up. She had all kinds of things going on---infected wounds, high blood pressure, dialysis, altered level of consciousness, a feeding tube--you name it, this lady had it. In report, I was told she was a DNR---do not resuscitate. Although the ED nurse wasn't clear on the details, I knew this patient was super sick. I entered the room, with several family members there. I did my nursey tasks, and the patient, although sleepy, could tell me she was in pain. I asked her about the DNR order and she nodded yes and no to what she did and didn't want. Her family was on board, but the physician pushed them to wait one more day before making a decision. I asked if they would like to see a Pastor or a Priest, and the patient's daughter said, "Sure. That would be great. My mom is a Christian." Without thinking, I said, "I am too. Can I pray for you guys?" The family eagerly took me up on my offer, we layed hands on the patient, and in that moment, she opened her eyes and said "thank you." After leaving that room, a little misty-eyed and forever changed, I knew that soon, this patient would be RENEWED. She would be restored to freshness and perfection. It may not have been on my shift, but soon she would be with Jesus, without pain and perfect. RENEWED.

How freaking awesome is that? Amidst feeling like an imposter in scrubs and Nikes, God lets me be part of His plan for His people. He has allowed me to serve those that don't have a voice, those that cannot speak for themselves, (or can but no one is listening).

Jesus--RENEW me.

1 comment:

  1. glad you had the chance to pray with a pt AND family! what a blessing :)

    happy you blogged. was thinking it had been a while.

    also noticed your background. name that disease....

    ReplyDelete